Depending on individual perspectives, some people prefer relatives over friends while for some it works the other way round. Generally speaking whoever provides us the comfort and makes us feel special are indeed special for us. But there are certain characteristic differences one will find when he/she compares Friends with Relatives.
- Visit a friend after few years and all you get is “OMG! Where were you? How have you been? I missed you!”. Visit a relative after few years the most common opening statement from the relative’s side will be “Look at you! You have grown up!” Well technically one grows up every second of the day so after years, change is quite evident enough.
- Nobody is perfect in this world. Sometimes we commit mistakes that we regret later. But there is always a phase of “rationalising” our deeds-whether what we did was right or wrong. If you consult your friend about it, you might get quite honest reply followed by a comforting gesture. Sometimes if you share it with some relative you will get lots of “You shouldn’t“ followed by your comparison with someone your age.
- You can be your true self with your close friends without thinking about your image. When it comes to relatives, you have to be formal and behave “ideally”. These responses are from those relatives whom you encounter once or twice a year, especially at family gatherings.
- One has more rapport with someone of the same age. The level of understanding between the two is comparatively higher. As a result one feels more comfortable talking to friends than relatives.
- Friends might change as you grow up, move to different city, etc. However relatives are there for you ALWAYS. Sometimes their life experiences can guide you in difficult times. They can be your inspiration if you learn from them.
In the end it really depends on your bond with the person regardless of that person being your friend or relative. Sometimes you prefer friends while sometimes you prefer relatives. It is a matter of personal choice.