Travelling.. the word itself can take us places. The whole idea of travelling, planning for a trip, packing bags, fills most people with enthusiasm and brings a sense of relief, joy and happiness. It is a highly productive way to de-stress, de-clutter and to relieve yourself of the stress you could be experiencing. It is a good way of exploring new places and in the process you get an opportunity to explore yourself and resolve your issues and conflicts.
Here’s 7 reasons how travelling can help you de-stress
- Learning Incredible Life Stories: Travelling gives you an opportunity to meet people from different walks of life, and a chance to communicate, connect and explore their lives. Further, this can even help you understand how a simple person might have carried an extraordinary life. You can see how people overcome their difficulties, how they react in different situations, and how they have grown as individuals. This can help you cope better with your stressful situations.
- Moving out of comfort zone: Adventure holidays surely pull you out of your comfort zone. However, travelling, by itself is adventurous, even without adventure sports. While you travel, you can be faced with many uncertain situations where you might have to alter your plans, or make quick decisions. It helps you engage your problem solving skills and can thus increase a sense of independence and resilience which can make you well equipped to combating stress in a better way.
- Exploring different cultures: While you travel to different places within your country or outside, you get to meet people belonging to different cultures. You get to witness their customs, their rituals, gestures, lifestyle, etc. This helps to become more open and sensitive to other cultures and adds to your cross cultural awareness. It can also help to absorb their ways of problem solving and adapt them to lead a more stress-free life.
- Learning Life’s Purpose: Meeting people from different cultural settings and socioeconomic backgrounds can lead to encountering a lot many who need help and support and this might evoke a sense of compassion and warmth within you. It can also help you become more motivated and sometimes give you ideas for a more purposeful and meaningful life. It would also take your mind off your stressful events, and help you count your blessings thus adding to your experience of gratitude, which is the positive emotion with the highest frequency of positive energy.
- Replenishing Energy Reserves: Travelling helps provide with that much needed time for yourself and helps you relax. This has numerous physiological and psychological benefits. Your brain gets time and space to replenish its energy reserves. So, when you get back to your routine, you would feel refreshed and be able to approach issues with a fresh and new outlook.
- Broadening Perspective: Visiting new places and interacting with different people paves a pathway for getting introduced to new behaviours, perspectives, thought patterns, attitudes, etc. This helps to widen your mental horizon and also helps you become more accepting, receptive and open minded. It also provides you with productive resources into problem solving as well as interacting with people from different cultures, thought patterns, etc.
- Building Pleasant Memories: Travel provides you with a priceless assemblage of memories. These memories can be cherished at any point in time and can help you bounce back to and revisit more positive and learning experiences whenever you are faced with stressful situation thus bringing an instant smile and a sense of relief to your mind and soul.
Travelling can most certainly help you replenish your valuable resources, know yourself and others better, get inspired. And this can help you beat stress better! How has travelling helped you? — do share your travelling stories with us.