“Our state of wellness determines our response to any situation. Never allow the busyness of life to distract you from taking care of your well being.”
― Lailah Gifty Akita
As working professionals we get so involved in work and the busy schedule that we tend to take a very important part of our life very lightly i.e. eating and meals.
We work in shifts and lot of times we either skip meals and then overeat or don’t eat at all. Such eating habits are not just wrong but very unhealthy too. These can become a major cause of health related issues such as weight gain, weight loss, gastric trouble, low blood pressure, anemia, etc.
So, here are 8 simple tips to set your eating habit right-
- Don’t skip meals – one very important part of healthy eating habit is to not skip meals; skipping meals can cause gastric issues and can deteriorate your health. We tend to skip meals due to lack of time or over-burden. If this is the case go for some healthy, readily available small bites, for example, cashews, raisins, oat biscuits, etc.
- Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. NEVER skip it. Include dairy products, toast, fruits for breakfast. Skipping breakfast can make you feel low on energy and dehydrated leading to health effects and feeling low. So even, if you are getting late for office, pick up a tetra pack of flavored milk and a fruit but try not to skip this meal.
- Eat small, frequent meals as opposed to large heavy ones – heavy meals often have more calories than most people need in one sitting. Eating a large portion can also make you feel sleepy and lazy.
- Mindful eating – close your laptop and files for 10 minutes and give full focus to your eating while taking a meal. When you eat a meal it’s very important to focus on the food and enjoy it. It not only gives your mind a break to rejuvenate but also helps the body to digest the food.
- Sit down and eat – make sure when you eat you are sitting comfortably and eating. Also, utilize this time to de-stress as the mood while eating affects not only the quantity of consumption but also determines how well your body will absorb the nutrients.
- Liquid intake – you are sitting all day on the desk, so make sure your water consumption is high. Therefore, 1 liter of water and 2 liters of enriched liquid like juices, soups, buttermilk etc is what is required by the body.For water intake fill a bottle of water and after few minutes take it sip by sip this way you wont feel blotted and water will also be consumed which will help the body to flush out unnecessary salt from the body.
- Carry your own food, which will also reduce your chances of eating junk or fried food. If you don’t have time to cook then prepare your meal a night before, and keep it in the refrigerator, which is much healthier than eating junk or fried food.
- Limit alcohol intake – Alcohol dehydrates you, lowers inhibitions and increases your appetite. So on weekends when you consume alcohol to relax and de-stress check on the consumption. Or better avoid it.
We all know what to do and what not to do but still we forget to follow it or simply ignore it.
Sitting all day may put on some extra fat on your body. To avoid it, do simple exercises such as running or brisk walking, and eat fresh and healthy food. Remember: not eating or skipping is not the answer. Food is a very important part of our daily routine and it determines our mood to great extent. So Eat Healthy and Stay Fit.